Travelling North

Travelling North
the 2 of us at Karumba Queensland

Monday, July 5, 2010

A stick of a different kind

After having a go at John when he fixed the toilet, I thought I should be fair and share some of the silly things that I've managed to do while we'be been travelling.
Having to use a walking stick for the first time is not an easy thing to do. Co-ordination is desirable and I'm clumsy enough without an added extra to manage. I've almost hit a few people (unintentionally) with it because I haven't allowed for the length of it when shopping.

I've dropped a few things - most notably was the hardened plastic cordial bottle in Milaa Milaa. I had a few things in my arms and didn't want to use a plastic shopping bag (there's very little recycling in Queensland so another email to Minister for Environment in this state will be sent soon). Stepping from the shop to the footpath down a step, the bottle just fell out of my arms and hit the footpath with an almighty bang that had the shop assistant rush out to see what had happened. The bottle was intact but John and I were rolling around laughing so much that I was crying and the shop assistant thought the bottle had landed on my toes.

Dropping the stick has become a common occurrence - it does make a racket when it lands on a floor - slippery little sucker!

I was very tempted to trip a teenage boy this afternoon in a shopping mall. He just cut me off - no respect for disabled older person!!! Robert has been on the end of a few prods and pokes.

I forget where I've placed the stick too. In supermarkets, I've hung it on the trolley then walked off to get something, completely forgetting about the stick.

Saw a really snazzy one - had circles all over it. Thinking about beading mine using jewellery wire and some sparkly beads.

Doing laundry this afternoon, I came upon an elderly lady with a walking stick. I challenged her to a race but she just laughed.

I have a different outlook now and understanding of those people who need to use a walking stick all the time. I'm just happy that I could take Nana's with me this time; she must have been quite skilled in using her stick because I don't recall her ever dropping it or getting it tangled up with other people.

3 comments: